The Portuguese classical pianist Ana Fernandes seeks to combine the freedom and personal expression which solo performance provides together with the delight in sharing the experience of music with other musicians, by creating a unique musical speech.
She is currently developing her musical studies at Conservatorium Maastricht, in The Netherlands. Here, we should highlight the devotion to the areas of solo, chamber music and collaborative piano, under the guidance of Katia Veekmans, Anastasia Safonova, and Jeroen Riemsdijk, respectively.
In 2018, she participated as an orchestra member of the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra (integrated in the Festival d’Aix-en-Provence), under the baton of Kazushi Ono, on a tour through cities of the southern France.
As a soloist, her debut with orchestra was at 15 years old, playing Kabalevsky’s 3rd Piano Concerto with the symphonic orchestra of her music academy. Later performances with orchestra include Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A minor, at 17 years old, and Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, at 18, with the symphonic and wind orchestras of her school, respectively.
She has been collaborating with several large ensembles during her musical career as an orchestra member, being also regularly involved in the symphonic and wind orchestral projects of the Conservatorium. She worked with conductors such as Jan Cober, Stefan Blunier, Quentin Hindley, José Eduardo Gomes, among others.
Ana has played in important venues in Portugal, Spain, France and The Netherlands, such as Casa da Música, Auditório do Conservatório de Música do Porto, Auditorio de La Lonja, Grand Théatre de Provence, Sint Janskerk, among others.
She has received masterclasses from notable names of the pianistic world, such as Jean Saulnier, Jose Ramón Mendez, Balázs Fülei, Jean-François Antonioli, Hortense Cartier-Bresson, Fernando Puchol, Juan Carlos Garvayo, Rene Lecuona, Pedro Burmester, and musical advice from the conductor Òscar Colomina i Bosch.
Her main prizes include national and international competitions, such as International Competition Paços Premium (2nd Prize, Category A) and Prémio Elisa de Sousa Pedroso (2nd Prize, Category B).
Ana started her musical studies at the age of 12 in Academia de Música de Castelo de Paiva, in the class of Pedro Cunha, pursuing her higher education at Escola Superior de Música e Artes do Espetáculo with Professor Constantin Sandu.
In the educational field, she is coaching amateur groups in the Orlando Festival and giving piano lessons, as an intern, in the United World College Maastricht.
- 2019 - TEACHING (Piano), United World College Maastricht
- 2019 - COACHING (Chamber Music), Orlando Festival
- 2018 - WIND ORCHESTRA PROJECT WITH JAN COBER (Piano and Celesta), Musica Sacra Festival Maastricht
- 2018 - PORTO PIANOFEST (Masterclasses)
- 2018 - ORCHESTRE DES JEUNES DE LA MEDITERRANÉE (Piano and Celesta), Festival d'Aix-en-Provence
- 2018 - XIV FÓRUM INTERNACIONAL DE MÚSICA DE ORIHUELA (Masterclasses)
- 2018 - ORQUESTRA SINFÓNICA E CORO DO PORTO-CASA DA MÚSICA, Schönberg's Gurrelieder (Choir)
- 2017 - ORQUESTRA SINFÓNICA DA ESCOLA SUPERIOR DE MÚSICA E ARTES DO ESPETÁCULO (Organ) Condutor: Javier Viceiro
- 2016 - ORQUESTRA DE SOPROS DA ACADEMIA DE MÚSICA DE CASTELO DE PAIVA (Soloist), Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
- 2015 - ORQUESTRA SINFÓNICA DA ACADEMIA DE MÚSICA DE CASTELO DE PAIVA (Soloist), Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor
2009-2016: ACADEMIA DE MÚSICA DE CASTELO DE PAIVA Elementary and High School Music Education Class of Pedro Cunha
2016-2018: ESCOLA SUPERIOR DE MÚSICA E ARTES DO ESPETÁCULO Bachelor in Classical Music Class of Constantin Sandu
2018-present: CONSERVATORIUM MAASTRICHT Bachelor in Classical Music Class of Katia Veekmans